Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Honey-Dijon Chicken Thighs (VERY GOOD)

SUNDAY JULY 20, 2008

*** Grilled Honey-Dijon Chicken Thighs ***

I like mustard-based sauces, but could never seem to find one that was exactly what I was looking for. I want one that has some kind of Asian flair ... soy or ginger or whatever. The store-bought ones are always WAY too sweet, and most of the online recipes seem to be for a honey dijon sauce that you would get with your McNuggets.

I finally found a honey-dijon glaze from Bobby Flay that had what I wanted ...

3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon finely grated ginger

Melt the first threee ingredients over medium heat. Then remove from the heat, add the rest of the ingredients, and let it cool to room temp.

I threw some salt, pepper, and paprika on the thighs and tossed them on the grill. FYI ... paprika is my secret ingredient for just about anything grilled since it puts a great char on the food from the fire. Brush them with the glaze during the last few minutes of cooking.

I would definitely make this again, and this glaze is great for most meats ... salmon, pork, chicken, and shrimp all come to mind.

2 comments:

LizzieB said...

Sounds great...gonna try this!

Unknown said...

I love a great honey mustard or dijon sauce or glaze. I am definitely going to make this recipe. I have a similar problem with honey mustard or dijon salad dressing. First, Kroger's selection of honey mustard or dijon dressings is ridiculously small. And second, out of the selection they have there's not one I like. Most are just too sweet and the dijon part is lost. If you've ever had a dressing or a sauce from a restaurant that you've instantly fallen in LOVE with, chances are you will never find anything that compares to it in the store :((

This happened to me with BBQ sauce as well. I like thick, dark, rich, sweet, but with a tangy 'bite' BBQ sauce. I am not a fan of the woodsy smelling ones, like the bark of a tree--nope. (I also like my honey dijon to have a bite). We've made our own BBQ sauce from a recipe and it was thick and dark but wasn't quite right (I have this one flavor stuck in my brain!!) and it makes the biggest mess you've ever seen on the stovetop. I would say it's good, but not great.

Hot dog chili is the same too. I can never find the perfect hot dog chili--for one thing, it it never looks like the picture on the can, and the flavor is always lacking. (I'm open to suggestions if you have any favorites)

I have my favorite taco sauce though and they better never change the flippin' recipe!!! Ortega Mild or Medium, no other sauce compares. For a few years Kroger was using that same sauce under their own store brand label (I SWEAR IT) but they switched and I went back to paying more for Ortega. I just love it.

Speaking of changing recipes--Catalina salad dressing just recently changed their recipe. AHHHHHHHHH!! I have used Catalina on my salads since I was a kid. It's now less the neon orange it used to be and some of the tang is gone. It's still very good, but not great anymore. They changed it right when Kraft changed all their salad dressings' bottle shape. Slipped the change right in there.