Saturday, August 16, 2008

Whole Wheat Pasta with Fresh Garden Sauce (GOOD)

Monday, August 11, 2008

*** Whole Wheat Pasta with Fresh Garden Sauce (GOOD) ***

It's that time of year, so we're swimming in tomatoes from the garden, which is definitely a good thing. This year is the first time I've ever done a garden, so it's also the first time I've ever tried to make my own tomato sauce. For try #1, I was definitely happy with the results. I skinned and seeded about 8 roma tomatoes and added them to a pan of sauteed garlic on medium-low heat. In another pan I cooked a half pound of turkey sausage and added it to the cooked down tomatoes along with some fresh garlic, basil, and Asiago cheese (and salt and pepper of course). The result was definitely a fresh and flavorful sauce. Oh ... and I did add a couple of spoonfuls of tomato paste to thicken the sauce, and that definitely helped. My only regret was mixing it in with a pound of pasta, which resulted in too much pasta and not enough sauce. Next time I either need to make more sauce, or just spoon it on top of each serving.

No comments: